Ever had a client request a painstakingly complicated report that your program couldn’t handle? Say goodbye to creating Excel spreadsheets with hours of input; the Intuit® ProConnect™ Lacerte® Database Reports tool has got your back! In this article, learn how you can integrate this feature with your practice.
To locate the Database Reports tool, click “Print,” then select “Database Reports” toward the top of the screen.
Here are the tabs and what they do:
E-File Acceptance Letter: Inform your clients of IRS acceptance of their returns, as well as application(s) for extension. The extension includes IRS Forms 4868, 2688 and 2350. The e-file acceptance letter replaces Form 9325, while providing important information to your client.
The e-file acceptance letter for an accepted tax return includes:
- Date of acceptance and the applicable service center.
- A contact phone number for the IRS.
- Refund information, including the refund amount and method of payment.
- Balance due information, including the amount due and method of payment.
The e-file acceptance letter for an accepted application for extension includes:
- Date of acceptance.
- Amount due information, including the amount due and method of payment.
- Letter type includes tax return, amended, extension, estimated payments, US-Form 114, US-Form 114-SP and certain state forms.
E-file Activity: This will print a report showing the clients’ current tax return status. You can choose to include more than one status on the report, or only print out a specific set of clients with a certain status. The e-file activity report includes the previous activity of the return, and if it was rejected, you have the option to print out the detailed report. The detailed report will include the necessary steps to take to ensure the return is accepted, or provide further instructions.
E-File Outstanding: View the status of all tax returns sent to Lacerte, but not accepted by the IRS/Department of Labor.
Client Lists: This gives you the ability to print a list of clients that includes the name only, name and phone number, or an extended client list, including address. You also have the option to include the dependents listed on the return.
Letter: With custom letters, you can create form letters for any situation. These letters are similar to client letters that print with the tax return. While client letters cover filing instructions and information, custom letters can include any information you want. You can create up to 99 custom letters per program.
Summary Reports: Using summary reports, you can view statistics for clients, preparers and your firm. The program reads data generated through Lacerte to print client reports and practice reports. Client reports identify clients in the database based on the forms they filed, the preparer who prepared the return, tax brackets, processing date, any billing information and tax item amounts. Firm reports include cumulative statistics about your practice. It lists the federal tax forms prepared, percentage of clients filing each form and averages of various tax items, including total income and total billing. Preparer reports include a cumulative analysis of returns completed by each preparer; you can base the percentages on the preparer or firm percentages.
You can also print reports based on the statuses assigned to your clients to track your firm’s tax preparation process, as well as a report for clients assigned to a group of preparers, assigned final status and even list them by the assigned preparer. For example, you can create a report for Mary O’Neill, a preparer in your firm, and view all her clients with extensions and final statuses.
- In the “Status Reports” list, at the “Preparers” folder, click the box(es) next to the preparers you want to include in the report.
- In the “List by” folder, click the box(es) next to the option by which you want to sort the report.
- In the “Status to Print” folder, click the box(es) next to the statuses you want to include in the report.
- Click “previous” and “next” to move between the different reports.
- Click “print” to print the report to a PDF file, document management system (DMS) or a printer.
- Click preview to see any changes you make on-screen before you print.
Create a custom report to include various items from the selected clients’ files to fit your tax practice’s needs. When you create a custom report, you can select which fields from the client detail to include and the order you want them to print. You can select from more than 325 fields. For example, you can create a report summarizing which clients are filing an electronic return and what their e-file status is. Here are step-by-step instructions to create your custom report.
Mail Labels: You can print mailing labels for your tax clients, in different types and formats, depending on your needs. For example, you can print one set of mailing labels with the clients and client numbers listed, or another set with only the clients listed, but with last names first.
Print Options section:
- In the “copies” box, click the arrows to set how many of each label print.
- If you want the labels to print in sets, select the “print in sets” check box.
Label Options section:
- In the “label name” box, click the type of label for your printer. The information about each label displays below the label name.
- Click “add” to add a custom mailing label.
- Click “delete” to delete the selected mail label.
You cannot delete a default label type.
- Click “Edit” to change the settings for a custom mailing label.
- In the “Client Name Format” list, click an option to determine how the names print on the labels.
- Select the “Include Client Numbers” check box to print client numbers on the labels.
In the “Printer Selection” section:
- Click “Settings” to choose where to print the labels (PDF file, printer or DMS).
- Click “Sub clients” to view mailing labels for any sub clients the selected client might have.
You can only view sub clients for one client at a time.
- If you selected a group of clients for printing mailing labels, click “Previous” and “Next” to move through the mailing labels.
- Click “Print” to begin printing labels.
- Click “Preview” to view the list on-screen. You can use “Preview” before printing to check for mistakes.